Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Older Than My Years

Remember yesterday when I wasn't feeling so hot?

Well... that continues into today. I'm feeling better... but still a little linty around the edges.**1

And when I'm sick, I have a certain sequence of events that I try to follow so I don't get more sick. It doesn't matter whether I've got the flu or the sniffles - the procedure remains constant, so one doesn't turn into the others. (Although it would be a pretty cool trick if you could turn the flu into the sniffles. Work on that, won't you?)

STEP ONE: Recognize impending sickness as actual sickness, instead of inhaled dustbunnies/overtiredness/psychosomaticality.

STEP TWO: Begin drinking water in a fashion that would put the little fishes to shame.

STEP THREE: Locate and put on every sweater, hat, scarf and pair of socks in my home.

STEP THREE-POINT-ONE: Rock the Babushka look without shame. 

STEP FOUR: Wrap up in blanket (in addition to all other clothes) and try to kill the germs with heat and fluids.

STEP FIVE: Once sweat>germs, shower and resume normal activity.

I found myself in Prime Babushka Territory this morning, as I bundled into my jeans and socks and double-layered sweater and oversized wool scarf (that I wrapped around my head in a babushka-esque fashion).


Just like this.**3
Boyfriend of Amazingness probably made a funny comment about how I looked like an old Polish grandmama...

But I wouldn't know, because I was in the Ultimate Self-Swaddle Of Anti-Sickness.

By tomorrow, you won't even recognize me for my awesome healthfulness.


**1 I think that should be on the doctor's Pain Scale. Somewhere between a 2 and a 3 - just enough to throw off your game, but not enough to make you take the horse pills that would be prescribed if you actually hauled yourself into the doctor's office.**2

**2 You should check out Ali's "A Better Pain Scale" at Hyperbole and a Half. Because it's totally awesome, too.

**3  Photo Credit: http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/neverallthere/default/babushka-kitties--large-msg-118064581823.jpg


SERIOUSNOTE: No, ReaderFriends, the significance of today's date has not escaped my notice. However, I decided to approach this 11th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks in the same fashion which I have been trying to approach the rest of this year: With a little sparkle. By bringing in a little light, and recognizing that, no matter the situation, there is a glimmer of hope to be found. I still urge you to find a sense of togetherness with your fellow Americans. Go volunteer somewhere. Attend a religous service, if that suits you. Share a smile or a hug with a stranger. Give a pint of blood to help save lives into the future. There are always ways to remember, and I definitely think you should. Don't dwell... don't fester... don't hold on to anger... just remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment