Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dreaming With My Eyes Open

Dreams can be a little weird in Sunny Land.

(Remember? http://lackadaisychain.blogspot.com/2013/06/if-you-can-dream-it.html)

Yeah. Weird.

Recently has been no exception. With the stress of moving and of signing the mortgage papers, my brain runs too quickly through most of my day. Once the day is over and I've fallen in to bed, there isn't often any brain left to think.

So I fall asleep blissfully, my brain devoid of thought.

But then the dreams start.

I don't remember much of what I've dreamt through the past week. Which is fortunate, because I'm certain they've been doozies.

I do remember the dream that hit me this morning, however.

In the morning, my dreams aren't scary. They're typically just cockeyed and a little off-kilter - the product of a half-awake brain clinging to the last tendrils of sleep. That's when my whipped cream dream happened. (See the link above if you didn't before and are now wondering what in the world I'm talking about.)

Since moving in to the house, we haven't gotten around to hanging up curtains yet. Which I'm absolutely loving.**1 It means that the sunlight comes in the small window and falls upon the bed between 5:00 and 6:00 a.m., which has led me to wake up naturally every day since we moved in. Even today, when Boyfriend of Amazingness left for work and I had to get myself out of bed and ready for the day.

But this phenomenon of naturally waking means that there's very little dozing-while-hitting-the-snooze-button dreaming.

Which makes me wonder where the dream came from.

Here's the basic scoop:

In my dream, Boyfriend of Amazingness had gotten ready for work. He showered, dressed, kissed my forehead and went downstairs to make his coffee.

This isn't unlike what actually happened, so I suppose there's no way to realy be sure that I wasn't awake and just not conscious of what was going on.

Nonetheless, that's where it got weird.

I heard the front door shut, and Boyfriend left for his work day. I heard the truck pull out of the driveway and I rolled over to go back to sleep.

But then, in my dream, Boyfriend was suddenly back in the bedroom.

And he was giggling.

"Honey!" he laughed. "Why did you let me leave for work without pants?"


**1 The apartment was so closely situated to other apartments that I didn't feel comfortable having the curtains open in the bedroom, ever. Which led to a serious case of lethargy, bordering upon over-sleeping and even a little depression. It was horrible. I would go to bed betwen 10:00 and 11:00 every evening. On work days, I would get up between 6:30 and 7:00. On weekends, I would sleep until between 9:00 and 10:00, with no later bedtime and typically a 2-hour nap in the afternoon. I was miserable, mostly because I simply didn't get the sunlight needed to regulate my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment