Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hungry, Hungry Human

Have you ever been hungry and busy at the same time, and then had to weigh your busy-ness against your hunger and figure out which one would win?

I do that all the time.

I usually choose wrong.

Today I picked productivity over my belly... and it was a bad choice.

See, when I start to feel hungry, the feeling will float gently around my innards for about an hour. Ninety minutes TOPS.

At which time, my body believes it has expended enough energy trying to get my attention, and begins to shut down entirely. I lose fine motor skills... and then gross motor skills... cognitive capacity shuts off entirely and eventually I teeter over the edge into being Too Hungry To Intelligently Feed Myself. It is at that point that I must wander into the world and put my hands on the first edible object I come across - usually with a gutteral grunt marking my acceptance of my gastronomical fate - and inhaling it with the grace and poise of Cro-Magnum having his way with a raw boar.

I can feel myself approaching this uncomfortable edge... But for right now, there's not a thing I can do about it. I'm at least 40 minutes away from my next intake of food.

The best I can do is think about it.

And... now I've lost interest in this blog post, too. I'm just thinking about what I want to eat for lunch. Although right now I'd chew the toes off a toddler if I thought it would sustain me.

No comments:

Post a Comment