Friday, August 24, 2012

Be Careful What You Wish For

Public Service Announcement 
to Fellow Human With Self-Imposed Dietary Restrictions
I cut nutritional items out of my diet because I can't process them. I don't get to eat copious amounts of cheese or ice cream because it throws me into a gastric fit. I'm not allowed artificially sweetened foods because they rattle me even more deeply. Those are rules for myself I have to follow because it makes me very, very sick (and stinky) if I break them.
So for you to impose restrictions on yourself - specifically, cutting out all dairy and all gluten and all red meat on a whim - and then to complain about how hard it is to find cheap, tasty food that doesn't send you into fits of "IBS"**1 is a little shortsighted of you. It's also shortsighted to complain about being so hungry all the time. I understand not eating what makes you feel icky. But if you choose a diet for yourself, follow it. Or break it. But don't mope and groan about it to someone whose restrictions are medically based.
Secondly, it's not "luck" that I'm the shape that I am. It's running around the office all day. It's sharing housework with my hardworking Boyfriend of Amazingness. It's supporting my Mum by stepping into the role of Man of the House if it's needed. It's dancing and walking and playing and moving as often as I can and more. It's eating vegetables and drinking water and having a positive attitude**2 and not being generally geriatric.
So for you to sit and complain that you can't move to take care of whatever-needs-taking-care-of really pushes my buttons. You can't get up because you don't want to get up. And you're stiff and sore because you don't make yourself move. NOTE: I've seen you book it when you thought you were going to miss your ride. I know you can move if you want to. You're not fooling anyone.
Thirdly... If you *do* break your self-imposed restrictions because you're Just That Hungry, do it with quality food. You're not doing yourself - or anyone around you, if that IBS kicks in... - any favors by hitting up Mickey D's to "tide you through this hungry bit."
Be careful what you do to your innards, Crazy Person. You just might find that you're the next Skinny Little Someone who can't eat cheese even if you really want to.
And cheese is awesome. So that sucks.
RaYD,
Sunny
**1 I appreciate your creativity in generating these maladies to get yourself out of doing unpleasant tasks. However... I don't need to hear about them. Maybe a doctor does, if it's affecting your ability to perform so seriously.

**2 Seriously, ReaderFriends. It helps. Not to change your shape, but to love it as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment