Monday, June 20, 2011

Dressing for Dinner

It's Monday.

MONDAY!

Already!!

I think I need to sit down.

Oh wait... That's what I do all the... Nevermind.

ANYWAY. Moving swiftly along.

What a *boring* week last week turned out to be. It was next to dead in the office. And when I say dead... I mean that I logged more hours on my favorite easily-accessed-yet-doesn't-look-malicious-to-big-brother gaming website than on any project or task all week.

However, it *was* busy enough that I haven't had a free moment to scribble down my thoughts on life, the universe and everything,* except for that brief moment of clarity when I got down with my poetical self and let out some bottled emotion. (For the record... the rain didn't live up to my blog post. The sky dribbled more than poured, and my emotions got more foggy than free.)

But now, as I sit here on this bright and sunny Monday morning (after EngineerFriends one and all have returned from goodness-knows-where-they-go-over-the-weekend... presumably bound back from time with their families or back from the mothership), I return to you from the doldrums of my boring week with stories aplenty from my times away.

Last week was rife with snafus of the wardrobe variety. Not that the local fauna have taken to dressing inappropriately: this is almost never the case. (Their clothing is all very boring: neutrals and blues abound.) No, instead they took to commenting on MY attire.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am - in fact - female... and at times do like to remind myself of that by wearing something cute and dressing for the part.

However, dressing like a female often leads to one startling realization about the office:

SUNNY IS A GIRL!

And with that realization comes the stumbling, stuttering awe-inspiring awkwardness of an office full of engineers who have difficulties handling my wardrobe shenanigans.
Last week, I encountered the following:

~~~
(On Tuesday)

EngineerFriend: You look smashing today!
Sunny: Thank you... I do try. 
EngineerFriend: I know, but you've got the whole ensemble today. Those Jesus shoes are adorable. And that bow on your dress? <poke> Too cute!
Sunny: Umm... thanks.
<brief exit by EngineerFriend, followed by his speedy return:>
EngineerFriend: I can smell you from over there. What is that? Apricot?
<approaches and sniffs my hair>
Sunny: Umm... I don't... Tell me you're not going to lick me.
~~~
(On Wednesday)
EngineerFriend: You look like That Girl today.
Sunny: What girl?

(This, of course, was followed by googling of "That Girl," which was followed by dawning realization, which was followed by an oath to myself that I would maintain ignorance in the face of the EngineerFriend... And an explanation that this was NOT my That Girl dress. That dress is in the wash.)

~~~
And so now, we move on to our MONDAY NOONTIME NOMS!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hi All,

I currently have a love note from <a vendor> sitting on my desk asking me to send them oodles of money for all the exciting fun we’ve had. Unfortunately, I have either been stricken with selective amnesia or I am not the party that went on <vendor> adventures. In hopes that it is the latter, I am requesting any information that anyone may be able to give me in regards to the invoices I should process to expedite their payment before they get tetchy.

Thanks!"

*****

(EngineerFriend Response:)

I learned a new word - Thanks Sunny. I can’t wait to use it on my know-it-all teenagers.

'<Child>, STOP BEING SO TETCHY'

~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Want to turn a client seven shades of purple?

Make them wait. And while they wait, make sure the radio is on.

And it is best if the radio is tuned to some radioactive station that may explode into obscenity at any moment, so as to find the best chances of this little snafu:
Sunny: Of course. I'd be happy to find EngineerFriend for you. Please have a seat.
Client: Thanks.
Radio: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me...
Client: O.O
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
"<The clients> are similar, but they couldn't be more different."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've done hard labor. One summer, I worked for a roofer, and he wanted me to get a pallet of shingles up to the roof. So I would carry a bundle at a time, all 80 pounds, up and up those 16 feet to the roof. For 2 or 3 hours, I did that! And I was starting to get a little slow, and my boss was yelling at me... So I said "I've been doing this for hours! Let's see you do better!"

And all summer, I never got a sunburn. Once I dripped some liquid asphalt on me, though. That burned."

(Point Of Interest: I bit my tongue, and did not mention my two summers-worth of construction projects, or working 2 hours before breakfast to beat the heat of the day on the roof, or simultaneously working as a nanny and a construction laborer and trying to explain to the little ones why they couldn't follow me up the staging... Nor did I mention that you never *ever* sass the foreman. I was hoping he learned that himself. Because really... I'm female. What could I possibly know about real work...)

Have a WONDERFULLY Sunny week, ReaderFriends!


*The answer is 42, by the way. In case you were wondering.

P.S. - It wouldn't be Monday if I got this up here on time. Seriously... if I were on time, there would be a riot. Which would be fun and all... but still. It's the principle. Maybe next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment