Monday, December 2, 2013

Failure

Yup, I failed.

I lost.

I fell short.

I didn't win NaNoWriMo.

Was I upset?

Well... not really.

Sure, I spent a five-day weekend bingeing on roasted poultry and over-indulging on pie.**1

Sure, I had a brief moment of "Will I ever finish anything that I start? Ever?!"

But that passed pretty quickly.

All in all, I'm proud of myself for trying. I set an interesting goal - 30 poetic works and short stories, 50,000 words, 30 days.

I didn't hit any of those marks.

In the end, I didn't even break 10,000 words. I cobbled together maybe a dozen or so poems and stories, and only half of those were seen through to completion. But I tried.

I do now have a binder of fabulous nuggets that I can wrap up and put out into the void at a later date, once I've polished them and readied them for their debut.

Who knows - Maybe I'll take the world by storm with my rendition of "T'was The Eve Of Thanksgiving."

Or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just keep plugging along and see if I can't finish my challenge to myself by next November.

For now, I'm focused on Christmas. This is my favorite time of the year, for goodness sake. I'm not going to sully it with frustration and sadness over a dream not realized.

Why would I waste time with that when I could be eating fruitcake and frosting cookies instead?!

**1 Definitely because of the NaNoWriMo loss, and not because of the holiday or anything like that. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment