Friday, March 22, 2013

Go Walkies

Some time ago, I found myself with an admirer of the not-so-secret variety.

It was cute and fun in that this individual was puppy-esque in his attachment: full of bubbles and good intentions, but sometimes made a bit of a puddle out of things in his exuberant excitement.

For instance: he baked me a cake. Complete with homemade frosting. And while it was a wonderful sentiment, he forgot to sweeten the frosting with anything. Or use a thickening agent. (As a matter of fact... it was more like he poured chocolate soup over the cake.) But it was a wonderfully kind gesture, and I appreciated his effort.

On other occasions, he would scamper up to my desk and ask if we could Go Walkies For Lunch.

I always giggled and found an excuse: My sister was in town, and I promised to spend time with her. I had an appointment that I just couldn't break. I was coming down with a jungle virus. Something about him, while cute and fun, made me just a little uncomfortable... so I avoided the Walkies.

Over the past week, however, I've found that the warmer weather is drawing me out of the office more frequently during the lunchtime hour. I'm popping out to enjoy a few moments of sunshine mid-day every day as I stroll around the city, and it's not only brightened my mood, it's brightened my mind.

Today I strolled by myself (my strolling buddy was otherwise occupied), and found myself meandering not only with my toes, but with my brain. It jumped from idea to idea like a child with new rainboots in a spring shower.

I thought about my admirer, who made his exit from my life many moons ago (and I hadn't thought of since). It led me to wonder if I would have had a second to ponder deep thoughts while walking with him, or if I'd need to be on constant alert that he not run into traffic or excitedly piddle on someone's shoe.

I thought about the injustice of the clothing-sizing industry, after my shopping sojourn with a close friend last evening. (If the number of my pants size has an hourglass figure too, why am I considered toppling over the edge into obesity? When did Bony become Beautiful?)

I thought about what it would be like to be invisible (after a grumpy homeless man moseyed out of his way to run into me - hard enough for me to flinch and wonder if I should chase him down for an apology).

I thought about how Boyfriend of Amazingness is coming home this evening after a three-day work jaunt to the south.

I thought about how I haven't seen my Mom or my sister in weeks, and that I kinda miss them a lot.

I thought about work.

I thought about home.

I thought about snuggles and puppies and daisies.

It's hard to come back to work with a frown on your face when there are snuggles and puppies and daisies on your mind.

Happy Friday, ReaderFriends!

No comments:

Post a Comment