Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Distractions

"Whyyyy?!"

That's what I'm hearing today.

I'm hearing your cries, ReaderFriends:

"Why, Sunny? Why don't you have words for us today?"

Well, it's quite simple.
I'm really having a horrendous day. So while I started this cute little story, about how my pup got stuck under the dishwasher chasing a rogue tennis ball**1, I kept allowing myself to get distracted by funny YouTube clips that I thought might pep me up.

The first was this one:


And from there, I got caught up in this:

And then, we just descended into madness.


So I never did get around to finishing my story. But I feel better, so I guess that's what matters.
**1 Before you report me to the ASPCA,**2 let me 'splain.

A tennis ball went rogue this morning during his shenanigans (of which I'll simply have to post a video some time, because it's the most adorable thing ever**3...) and rolled under the old dishwasher that's sitting in the middle of our kitchen floor.

(We replaced our dishwasher. The new one is installed and works. The old, not-working one hasn't yet made it out to the garage. Don't judge.)

At first, the Young Master just pawed at it.

Then he barked.

(Now, as I tell you the last part of this story, please remember that I was in the immediate vicinity and was assuring that at no time was my dog in any danger. I'm a responsible pet owner, despite how these stories sound.)

Upon realizing that the tennis ball responded to his call just as readily as he responds to mine, the Young Master took it upon himself to dive head-and-shoulders under the dishwasher to retrieve the ball.

The dishwasher started rocking.

The dog started wiggling.

The tennis ball remained nonplussed.

Realizing that he would not prevail, the Young Master decided to abandon his quest.

However...

He forgot how to remove himself from beneath the dishwasher.

He barked again, and wiggled more.

The dishwasher continued to rock.

Realizing myself that this situation would not draw itself to a close, I approached the scene and placed one quiet hand upon the washer, and one gently upon the dog's neck.

He ceased movement.

Miraculously, so did the dishwasher.

With a gentle push in opposite directions, I encouraged the two to separate.

It was at this moment that the dog realized his transmission does include Reverse, and he beep-beeped himself right out.

Then he found that there had been an alternate tennis ball immediately behind him during the entire shenanigan, and pounced upon it without further delay.

I was left to retrieve the rogue ball and inconspicuously hide it in a new spot - after all, what's life without excitement?**4

**2 Which, by the way, is my number one resource for pesky pet problems. I blame every ounce of positive return we've gotten out of training the Young Master on them and their humane, responsible and easy-to-implement training suggestions.

**3 I realize that I sound like every other pet parent out there. But seriously. Cutest. Thing. Ever.

**4 Well, look at that. I guess I did tell my story after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment