Monday, July 8, 2013

Day Job

It's no secret that I love to write.

But what I do often keep secret is the genre that I most adore: I would love nothing more than to write for children.

The inspiration that strikes me day-to-day is typically snarky, somewhat negative and a little down-ing. So I take my Sunshine, twist the thoughts around and try to put something a little more positive out into the ether.

This morning, as I meandered into the office, I thought about the everyday happenings that happened as I drove in.

And I thought about how any one scenario I faced having been changed would have completely altered my day.

For instance: What if I hit every green light on the strip instead of sitting at a series of reds? There may have been a parade up ahead with dancing elephants instead of just the boring commuters I saw.

Or: What if I had remembered my work badge on my first walk up to the office instead of having to walk back to my car and get it? Would I have gotten some cool prize like a free doughnut or something from a vendor that I just missed for my forgetfulness?

This train of thought lead me to consider a new writing series: The Almost Truth. Or perhaps One Little Change. Where I take some boring, mundane facet of my day, twist one tiny detail and imagine where that might take me.

I told you that story, to lead in to this story.

I love My Milk Toof by Inhae Lee (www.mymilktoof.blogspot.com). Her wit and whimsy are constantly entertaining to me, with enough clever wordplay and funny shenanigans to keep adults entertained while still offering storylines that could easily and happily be shared with children.

As I was reading her most recent post, a co-worker walked up behind me and asked what I was "pinning." I told him that I was in fact reading a picture book, and he peered over my shoulder to see what the excitement might be.

After declaring it an odd piece of work (admittedly, first glance can create that opinion when you think about reading stories based upon the big adventures of little teeth...), co-worker said "You should write one. Maybe about a couple of eyeballs."

I said "Great idea! 'Greeny and Bluey are the best of buddies, despite their outward differences.' It's not creepy at all."

He said "No, really. I bet you could write children's books."

Co-worker, I hate to tell you that nothing would make me happier. But my corporate lifestyle just doesn't provide the fodder for a children's writing career that a body might think.

But, I thought, it wouldn't take much to make the interesting stuff happen.

What One Little Change would it take to change my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment