Friday, February 8, 2013

Etiquette

I've not been the picture of health this week.

Fortunately, for today, I'm feeling much better. I still have a nasty cough, but my spirits are back up and the flow of viscous fluids is way down.

(Not that I wouldn't have loved a snowday today, that is. It appears that we're being walloped by Winter Storm Nemo, which - up to now - has just been the meteorological equivalent of a hearty sneeze. Lots of floofy white powder that's super-easy to shovel? Bring it on!)

But still... it's not really peak health season here in the office. The cold weather forces the nasty, germ-ridden air to stay inside and get circulated - over and over and over again - by the nasty air circulator machines which just cycle viruses around and around and around. It's kind of like being in soup. Nasty, disgusting, phlegmy soup.

(That made me gag a little. Let's move on.)

Today I arrived at the office to find an e-mail from my supervisor to All Employees. It's prudent, so I thought I'd share it here. If even one of the points she made helps to keep one person from falling into the clammy grips of the plague, then this public service announcement wasn't made in vain.

Stay well, my friends.


Subject: Cold and Flu Season Etiquette

All, as you may have noticed or even experienced, we are in the throes of cold and flu season.  Below are some tips to help you and/or your co-workers stay healthy:

Sunny's Note: I think it's clever that she addresses the issue of Those Who Are Already Sick, And Therefore Will Feel That This Isn't Intended For Them. I love her subtext: "I don't care if you're already snotty. Try to give a damn about the other people around you, and perhaps save them from snot of their own."
Stay Clean
Wash your hands frequently throughout the day. Even if you don’t think your hands are dirty, you may have picked up some germs from touching doorknobs, computer keyboards, telephones, and other office equipment. Lather your hands and wrists with soap and rinse for at least 20 seconds.
Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket or purse or use the ones on the walls inside the doors on each floor. If you can’t get to a sink as frequently as you like, use the sanitizer according to directions. This doesn’t mean that every time you shake someone’s hand, you should whip it out in front of the person. Be discreet and do it a few minutes later. You don’t want to insult anyone. Hand sanitizers are made in a variety of sizes and scents, so pick one that fits your needs but doesn’t offend others with strong smells. Remember that some people are allergic to fragrance.
Sunny's Note: I also think it's clever that she points out how not to insult others. It's always important, as you may have noticed that local sensitivity to individual insulting tendencies can be low.
Baby wipes can also help prevent the spread of germs. Keep a travel size pack in your pocket or purse and use them to wipe off grocery carts and hand baskets. If you touch a doorknob after coughing or sneezing, use the baby wipe to clean it.
Stash Tissues
Have a stash of tissues in your home, your office, and your car. Keep a travel pack in your handbag or pocket for emergencies. When you feel a sneeze or coughing attack about to happen, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue. As soon as possible, find a sink and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, bend your elbow and cough or sneeze into the crook of your arm.
When Others Are Sick
Be generous with your tissues when others around you don’t feel well. This will provide comfort for them and protection for you. Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on the edge of your desk to make it convenient for coworkers to use. The small expense of refills is worth not having the germs lingering and making everyone else sick.
Be Honest
If you are still dealing with the residual effects of a cold or flu, let others know. They will appreciate your honesty when you don’t accept their handshake. Rather than be rude and ignore their extended hand, you should offer an explanation. You may say something like, “I’m sorry, but I’ve been sick recently, and I don’t want to spread germs. I would feel terrible if you caught my cold.” The other person will appreciate your gesture and consideration.
Sunny's Note: I'm doing just that, as we speak. I'm making up a little flier to post in my doorway saying "Don't worry, friends. My bark is worse than my bite. But to save you from a bark of your own, please sanitize your hands upon departing from these premises."
General Good Manners
There will be times when you cough or sneeze in public, but you should still follow some basic etiquette rules. Turn away from people to prevent spraying them with germs, again,  cover your mouth and nose or bend your elbow and cough or sneeze into the crook of your arm. When you are finished, say, “Excuse me,” or “I am sorry.”
Sunny's Note: This is hugely important. So many people forget the follow-up to the cough and/or sneeze. It's not just up to the receiver to say "Bless you" or "Gezeundheit" or "Snurfle snompdom." It's up to the giver to acknowledge their expulsion and apologize for any residual splatter that may get them. It's manners.
Thanks for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment