Thursday, May 26, 2011

E-Mail Etiquette

Below is a message that was sent out to the masses (ALL the masses... as in the whole great-big company of them) today from someone much higher on the food chain than myself, and who is apparently in my same little boat. It was intriguing to me because they include such rules as I so desperately try to impart to my poor, lost EngineerFriends (to no avail). I am in hopes that this may assist my efforts... Or at least reinforce that I am *not* a ninny, and do indeed have some semblance of knowledge regarding What Is Going On. (Also... it should be duly noted that this e-mail was the highlight of my day. That's saying something, both about my current state of mind, my current workload and my current status with my co-workers.)

E-Mail Etiquette - Think Before You Send

Like it or not, our working lives are dominated by e-mail, and we all work in our own personal e-post room! But an e-mail can easily be misinterpreted and is not always the best way to get your message across...

  • If you TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS IN AN E-MAIL IT IS GENERALLY DEEMED AS SHOUTING. (I usually feel not only as though they are shouting, but that there are also wild-eyes and spittle. Ew.)
  • If you always type a brief but appropriate subject line, it helps everyone manage their e-mail more easily. (These are engineers, honey. Don't tell them to be brief. That means I'll have an inbox full of "Please Help!" e-mails with no regard as to urgency of the matter... Although 'urgency' is a matter of definition... As I was asked with a great degree of urgency today, "Could you slice my bagel?! I just can't do it!" I guess I take it back.)
  • Always use appropriate language in an e-mail. Bad language is not acceptable in a business letter or memo, so it's not acceptable in an e-mail either. (Neither is slang acceptable. "Thx" just makes me feel like you're extending the effort to be polite to get me to shut up about your manners. "Thx" is no more an expression of gratitude than "Biscuits" is an appropriate term of endearment for your favorite admin.)
Is e-mail the best idea?

Before you send an e-mail, consider other forms of communication which may be more appropriate. Face-to-face is always best as you can see how people react to what you're saying, but if that's not possible, why not make a phone call? (Definitely write the stupid e-mail. Phone calls are SO overrated... And you have to deal with the crazy Engineer-Haters that answer the phones. What a drag.)

Read Receipts

Don't as for a 'read receipt' to your e-mail. All this will tell you is that the recipient has opened your e-mail, not that they have read it. If it really matters that someone reads your message, why not give them a call? (Because if I called them, they couldn't read my message, which - as previously mentioned - is the point here... Don't be silly.)

We need our e-mail system for business use.

Our e-mail system exists to enable our company to compete in the high-speed, electronic business world of today. Don't abuse the system by forwarding jokes and chain e-mails. Those simply clog up the system.  (The same goes for Distribution Lists. Just because I am part of your big project doesn't mean I want to see that e-mail about the kit... Awww. Cute.)

Don't overuse 'Reply to All'

Does your reply really need to be seen by everyone who was sent the original e-mail? 
Using 'Reply to All' can produce many unnecessary e-mails: e.g. if I ask a dozen people for feedback on an issue, and everyone uses 'Reply to All,' a total of 144 e-mails would be generated. Always think carefully before using this option. (Duh. I would never write a witty pun in response to someone's poorly worded request and then accidentally hit 'Reply All.' That would be irresponsible and ignorant.)

E-Mail is not confidential

An e-mail you send can quickly and easily be forwarded to absolutely anyone... without your knowledge. Never send anything you wouldn't pin up on your wall. (For this, I have nothing. It's actually pretty decent advice.)

(All verbage [that isn't mine] is the property of my employer, whose name I refuse to include herein [but will provide as requested under only moderate duress].)

No comments:

Post a Comment