Monday, April 29, 2013

My Mom is The Best Mom

So... I have every intention of finishing the blog post I started on Day 3 of the 25 Days of Sunny. Really, I do. And it's awesome. But instead of writing, I've been living it up during my birthday stretch.

I started today's post thinking I would cross-post from www.diapersdaisies.com - there's this awesome list of "25 Rules for Mothers of Daughters" that I wanted to share. Since my own fantastic Maternal Unit was an integral part of my original birth day, I thought I'd shout it out to her as a Thank You For Being My Awesome Mom.

I mean, after all - this is the woman who brought both myself and my fabulous Seester into this world, and then promptly saw us through to adulthood without scarring us**1 and without running off with our father into the wild blue yonder like we know they wanted to, to live out their lives free from the craziness we imposed upon them.

But then the website was silly, and I couldn't get the original verbage. Maybe the original author is sick of sharing it. I haven't the foggiest why I can't find it, especially since it landed - kerPLOP - in my lap in the middle of the morning this morning when I really didn't have time to read it (but I took the time anyway because it was awesome).

So I decided to write my own list.

This is for you, Mumma. I love you.

 


25 Ways My Mom is The Best Mom 
  1. Her hands are always just the right temperature for holding. When I'm too hot, they're cool. When I'm cold, they're warm.
  2. She loves to get postcards, which gives me a reason to write to her about my adventures (and creates an instant catalogue of my travels).
  3. She can justify popcorn and orange juice for supper, and make it sound like the best idea ever.
  4. She never says "I Told You So," even when she totally did tell me so and I look like an idiot for not listening.
  5. She belly danced before I did. I wouldn't be a belly dancer now if not for her... and that's a big deal.
  6. She instilled within me a love of children, but without imposing pressure to have my own.
  7. She never lost her faith, even when it was really really hard to keep believing.
  8. She picked my Dad. That was a pretty awesome choice.
  9. She always has room for the small animals that resulted from bad decisions. Her living room houses the bunny that came out of my last relationship that I didn't have a home for, so I wouldn't have to give her up for adoption.
  10. She fed (and fed, and fed...) my love of literature. She bought Boxcar Children books until there wasn't room left to store them.
  11. She always has time for my awards ceremonies, no matter how piddly the award is.
  12. She can apply just the right amount of sympathetic snark to her commiseration about the miscreants in my life so that I feel better, without lowering herself to my level of anger and discontent.
  13. She knew better than to get me the big brother I asked for.
  14. She has encouraged every ill-planned scheme I've ever schemed without subjecting me to even an ounce of doubt.
  15. She once sang a song about a rooster who hoped he didn't get run over by a snowmobile, just to distract me from getting carsick.
  16. She doesn't hate me for boiling her beautiful copper tea kettle dry when I was a child. And she doesn't hate me for then letting it continue to sit over the flame without water in the kettle until the solder around the spout melted and it fell right off.
  17. She's just the right height for hugs.
  18. She survived my Learning to Cook stage, where I made spaghetti with Prego pasta sauce at every available opportunity, and usually dumped the pasta into the sink when aiming for the strainer, and then fished it out of the drain and rinsed it off and covered it with sauce to hide the fact that it was kinda gross with drain goo.
  19. She doesn't complain about my belly button ring, even though I think it secretly bothers her.
  20. She let me - and my sister - serve mud pies from under the porch stairs to incoming guests at Bean Supper, and all we had to do was wash up before we ate.
  21. She always made me go to bed on time, so I could get up early and enjoy the day.
  22. She can tuck me in over the phone when Boyfriend of Amazingness is out of town, no matter how old I get and how foolish it becomes that I'm still scared of the dark.
  23. She changed my diapers, even after I was almost potty trained and then regressed because I was jealous of the attention rained upon my new diaper-wearing sister.
  24. She didn't let her relationship with her Mom color her relationship with her daughters, even though it totally could have.
  25. She cries when people help her - just the right amount of happy tears to make me want to help her more and more and more.

**1 Irreparably...

No comments:

Post a Comment